Sunday, August 12, 2007

Elections

It seems that election time is approaching, November 2008 to be exact, and already we are hearing speeches, debate and more. I am speaking of presidential candidates but this applies to any one seeking political office. The office seekers will say what the voters want to hear, make promises that they can't and won't keep all the while shaking your hand, smiling and taking your money.

I am a registered Democrat but I vote for the candidate most suited for the office. Quite often it is voting for the best of the worst.

I hate to hear a candidate say: there will be no new taxes(read my lips), reduce unemployment, take crime off the streets, give health care to everyone, bring our troops home from Iraq, make our country safe from terrorist attacks. the list could go on and on.

Most of these promises can not be kept. It all has to be passed by Congress and they never vote nonpartisan. Besides, they are thinking of their own constituents--will they reelect me if I vote for this legislation?

It would be refreshing to hear a candidate say: "Here is what I believe to be the best for the people and country and during the course of my campaign I will try my utmost to carry out these beliefs. However at some point situations may change causing me to change my course of action. This does not mean I am waffling form one side to the other. It merely means that now I feel another course of action is better for the country."

It would be nice if the President, Congress, and all other officials elected to a public office were not swayed by lobbyists and campaign contributions from corporations and individuals. Unfortunately money talks.

We have the right to complain and that is what makes the USA such a great country. I would not want to live any where else. WE JUST HAVE TO MAKE SURE WE VOTE.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Câmera Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://camera-fotografica-digital.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

So... what do you think of all of the things going on with the democratic race at this point?